There is nothing more pleasant and relaxing than head to your house balcony for some fresh air and enjoy the sights and the people passing by. But it could be nicer if you have plants on the same balcony where you can cook a delicious lunch or dinner.
Place a small vegetable patch on the balcony It is very simple. Now all you have to do is look for the essentials and start putting your hands on the soil to take advantage of the moment when the plants you have grown start to grow. In order for a small garden to flourish on the balcony, it is best to plant plants that do not require too much care and provide you with culinary and medicinal benefits. You can start with parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, lavender, oregano …
Everything you need to know about plants
Since we’re not going to start the house with the roof, the first thing you need to think about is the a substrate where your small plants will grow. What qualities should he have? It needs to retain moisture, it needs to fix the roots well and provide nutrients to the plant.
Second, you have to think buy plant seeds you want to contribute. When small plants start to give birth, keep in mind that they are also very sensitive, because they are small, so you should:
- Provide humidity. But do not flood them because otherwise they will die.
- Cover the seedbed. Do it at night or if it’s cold.
- Try to place them in a bright place. In addition, sunshine so that the plants have everything they need to survive.
Once the plants are a little bigger they should not be neglected because they still need care:
- Pine bark or straw. Try planting pine bark or straw on the ground to give your plants a better level of humidity.
- Daily care. Monitor your plants daily as pests can kill them within days.
- Past. Compost so often to keep them nice and very leafy.
- Cleaning. Remove weeds that will weaken your plants.
- Shaving. When they are large in size, do not forget to prune them so that they are beautiful, strong and resilient again.
When the harvest timeNote the following tips:
- Cut in place. The aromatic and medicinal plants are freshly cut.
- Plum. If your plants are very busy and you need to prune them, you can freeze them fresh in small piles in a bag.
- To dry. You can also let the pieces of plants dry in a dry and ventilated place and then crush them using a grid so that they can be used as a spice,
- Macerate. Another way to use them is to marinate them in extra virgin olive oil.
Depends on part of the plant that you need to collect you can do it at another time of the day:
- flowers. If you are going to use the flowers of the plant, it is best to pick them in the middle of the morning.
- Sheets. If you need it, it is the leaves, it is better to do it late in the morning or early evening so that there is no moisture in it.
- Rods. If you need the stems, you can pick them up any time of the day.
- Root. But if the root is what you need, it is best to harvest it in the late afternoon.
Chun get the most out of your aromatic or medicinal plants It is important that you always choose the leaves, flowers, stems or roots that are in the best condition. To avoid damaging the plant, cut off the part to be used with pruning shears. Do not harvest the plants if you have used pesticides, wait for the days recommended by the product manufacturer. Also, only take what you are going to use.
Tips for growing all plants
Every plant is different from another plant, that’s why everyone needs different care that you need to know to make all your plants look beautiful.
a Basil is an ideal aromatic plant enjoy its aroma and taste as a scent in salads, dressings and tomato pasta dishes. It is important to use it fresh because otherwise it loses some of its aroma, which is very strong.
Is a plants very sensitive to cold That’s why you need to find a sunny spot for it and water it moderately. You have to be careful with the snails because the young basil leaves are a tasty food
there is parsley one of the most consumed aromatic plants in two types: smooth girl and curly leaf. Parsley can be planted all year round using seeds and you should find a bright and warm place for it. The water must be frequent but in small quantity so as not to flood it. It is best to collect it in the morning and cut the leaves low to the ground.
Thyme used as a condiment and as a medicinal plant. It smells very good and has beautiful flowers. It’s an easy plant to grow as long as you find it in a sunny location. In winter, it generally holds up well to low temperatures.
This aromatic plant it helps digestion and in case of severe cough. He also prefers the appetite.
Oregano is a aromatic and medicinal plant. It needs a sunny place and periodic but not abundant irrigation. It tolerates the cold but will be more fragrant and tasty in hot weather.
Oregano goes very well with tomatoes, that’s why it’s perfect in Italian dishes like pasta or pizza. As a medicinal plant, it has astringent and digestive action and is good for relieving coughs and colds.
a rosemary it is a small shrub can be reproduced by cuttings and seeds. He likes dry and sunny places, so do not overuse the water.
Rosemary for us it helps digestion and also relieves fatigue and muscle pain.
Lavender is a perennial that can grow to five feet tall. It prefers sunny places and does not need a lot of water. Do some soft purple flowers ear shape and very fragrant. It blooms in early summer and its flowers are used to make essential oils and also for decoration.